While slowly fermented cabbage and pungent garlic are the ingredients most people associate with kimchi, there are dozens and dozens of other versions of Korea’s national dish, featuring all manner of vegetables, such as these quickly pickled cucumbers with just a trace of garlic.
2 pickling cucumbers
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 scallions, white 1 1/4-inch piece fresh ginger
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Korean powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon fish
Servings: 6 people Total Time: 30 minutes
1. Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 8 half-moons.
2. Place in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly with salt.
3. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine garlic, scallions, ginger, vinegar, chile powder, sugar and fish sauce in a medium nonreactive bowl (see Tip).
5. Drain the cucumbers (discard the liquid).
6. Stir the cucumbers into the vinegar mixture Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before serving.
The Best Healthy Raw Snack
By Gustavo Pasquini